Monday, October 27, 2008

Mary Oliver, and a ridiculous detour

At the end of Rules for the Dance: A Handbook for Writing and Reading Metrical Verse Mary Oliver sends us off with expansive words (but I'm not actually going to give you all of the expanded parts):

"No poet ever wrote a poem to dishonor life, to compromise high ideals, to scorn religious views, to demean hope or gratitude, to argue against tenderness, to place rancor before love, or to praise littleness of soul. Not one. Not ever."

Why she got to get all up in my grill like that? Now I have to tear up either a whole stack of notebooks and loose leaves, or my Rustic Poets* Association membership card. Or maybe I can just sweep a few of these into the rubbish bin. . .







*This is an allusion to Frank Zappa's Illinois Enema Bandit, a song most certainly designed to demean . . . quite a few things, mostly women*.






*No, not really. It's a satire of pretentiousness and liberal piety. That just happens to demean to women. But only college-educated ones.

1 comment:

mikemonaco said...

Great googly moogly, please tell me she's kidding. No poet would write such a ridiculous generalization, no one, not one.