Friday, March 27, 2009

Space is Big, but it's not THAT Big

Umm. Apparently our galaxy is only 100,000 light years wide, so my Bearded Octopus is 10 times wider that the place he's supposed to be at the center of.

What's a couple orders of magnitude between friends, huh?

You might think Milky Way is a funny name for a galaxy, but don't forget that galaxy itself comes from Greek galact- which means 'milk.' That's why there's a galaxy in the middle of androgalactazemia a word that I thought was the name for the condition of male lactation, but I guess I made it up, since it gets zero Google hits. Until now, that is.

4 comments:

T. Smitty said...

Huh, I might've picked up on that fact had I remembered the many course-plottings that took place during Star Trek: Voyager.

Christopher B said...

Great. Now it seems I've developed a new fear: androgalactazemiphobia. I'm afraid of spontaneously developing androgalactazemia. Whatever the hell that is...

Aaron Nuttall said...

Christopher, I don't know if this can sustain another joke, but I'm so tickled by the idea of androgalactazemiaphobia that I think I'll have to disclose form now on--you know, in job interviews or reproductive health exams, or what have you--that I'm an androgalactazemiaphobiaphiliac.

Christopher B said...

"I'm an [a word that's so long, it breaks the comment box formatting]."

LOL I bet there's a 12-step program for that. Or, if you're not interested in treatment and would rather indulge your, um, tendencies, there must be a Web site devoted to it...