Thursday, April 2, 2009

What the hell happened to the D&D?

I used to write about D&D here, once upon a time, but those of you who singed on for that may have noticed that that stream dried up pretty quickly. It's of small concern to anyone, I know, and even those who might have been interested probably appreciate the lightening of their reading load, but I haven't forgotten you guys. Well, not completely.

I don't have anything about D&D just yet, but I can see something on the horizon. For now, just a word of explanation: my OD&D&S&W campaign was strangled in the crib (actually, it was more of a late-term abortion) by this rock 'n' roll music I play with this bunch of damn kids--most of them were BORN in the '80s. Geezis!--and while we're working on the record and playing shows in this, though snowy, spring and summer concert season, I'm not going to be able to referee in my usual timeslot.

This could result in me playing in a 4e campaign--wait, come back!--since T. Smitty is an excellent DM and available to take up the slack. He's sympathetic to old-school play, so I have hope that he'll bring to bear the lessons we've learned from the Renaissance about the roots of the hobby that are worth continuing, even with the shiny new game.

I want to continue carrying the banner--uh, I guess I should say 'take up the banner again from where I left it to be trodden in the mud of dereliction'--but don't get your hopes up too high: When I re-launch my OD&D&S&W campaign, it's going to involve ThunderCats.



ThunderCats as a PC race--several PC races, in fact: Lions, Tigers, Cheetahs, Pather-ninjas, Obi-Wan jaguars, and even whatever the hell Wilykit and Wilykat are. Coyotes or chocolate bars, probably.





I'll be drawing on the Filmation shows, too--He-Man, She-Ra, Blackstar, Bravestarr. Have you seen Blackstar? It's awesome. And Flash Gordon.

Naked warriors with mythic swords and naked sorceresses with serpent staves. Space ships. Funny animals. Ray guns. Black-and-white heroes and villains. I can't help it--it's the world I want to play in.

8 comments:

Christopher B said...

You lost me at "4E" - but you got me back at:

"Naked warriors with mythic swords and naked sorceresses with serpent staves. Space ships. Funny animals. Ray guns. Black-and-white heroes and villains. I can't help it--it's the world I want to play in."

I wouldn't mind playing in that world, either. I'll be eagerly awaiting more..

EchoDelta said...

I object to the exclusion of Thundar the Barbarian!

EchoDelta said...

correction Thundarr...

trollsmyth said...

When I re-launch my OD&D&S&W campaign, it's going to involve ThunderCats.

And this would be bad how?

Can't wait to see what you do with it. In the meantime, rock on.

Aaron Nuttall said...

I object to the exclusion of Thundarr too, E.D.--exclusion from DVD release.

I only saw that show once, in its original airing, in Mountain Home, amid a cloud of my grandpa's cigar smoke on a sunny Sunday summer afternoon, like every day in Mountain Home.

So, I don't have the ideal source materials. If only there were a way for obsessed fans to share their encylopedic knowledge of pop-culture minutia with the world--instantly--and if only there were a culture where that sort of thing was commonplace. . .

In such a world I could learn all I need to know about Thundarr even if I can't watch it on DVD. Alas.

Z.V. House said...

Apologies for laying waste to your D and Dness...anyway I can help to avoid this destruction?

Aaron Nuttall said...

Not to worry, Z. I guess the smile and wink doesn't come across in writing, what with the infanticide metaphor and everything, but I am just joking around about you damn kids. I am happy to bleed for rock 'n' roll.

Z.V. House said...

Huzzah! Well then - I look forward to the bloodshed on Friday (oh shit that's tomorrow....oh shit it's after midnight That's TODAY.) And on the 12th! And in May! And beyond!