Friday, July 17, 2009

It is good to learn you are ignorant

I've heard it said that dorks don't know. I don't know where, or what significance it has in the popular culture (though I would not be at all surprised if there is a site by that name on which you can find cell-phone video of me dancing). Do tell.

And I'm pretty sure Donald Rumsfeld once meant to say "We don't know what we don't know."

So, I should look at this feeling of being an ignoramus as growing pains--and of a common enough and even healthful sort. Still smarts though.

What am I on about anyway? I just learned--just in time for the first Mutant Earth session--about Original Edition Delta and the clearly-better-better-in-the-Tweetian-sense resolution mechanic found therein: To hit, roll better than 20 with d20+AC+Fighter level+bonuses. That's with traditional AC, natch. Thanks a infinity, Delta!

Next, I was combing around for other games that deal with Mutant Earthly subject matter and discovered that not only was there a supplement for BESM on the subject of Space Fantasy, it was written by my favorite blogger and yours, Mr. Grognardia himself. And so I feel like an ignoramus.

Sorry about not linking to anything, but you don't need a bunch of links--hell, you're not even reading this.

3 comments:

E.G.Palmer said...

Am so.

Chris said...

Knew about OED (thought you did too).
Didn't know about Grognardia Jim's secret shame of a BESM credit in his young, poor and desperate days. :)

Together we will make our ignorance smaller.

Aaron Nuttall said...

I shoulda known about OED--there's a link to the OED blog right there--but I only started reading it recently. Still, ignoramus.