Friday, October 16, 2009

If Caroline is all of us

As Echo accumulates more and more echoes of the people that have been installed in her, she becomes less a metaphor for how we are shaped by the powerful than for how we have to hide elements of ourselves, or maybe that we can hide elements of ourselves and lead double, treble, whatevs-ble lives. She has to keep the memories she's retained secret from the Dollhouse so that they don't prevent her (by sending her to the Attic) from finding her true self, and in that secrecy she stands in for the impression management we all have to do.

It's with that in mind that I embark on Erving Goffman's The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life hoping it will carry me to some grounds for an argument about what Dollhouse has to say.

I'm so sorry about trying to make that sailing metaphor work.

I haven't seen many examples of the show presenting Echo as intentional impression management, but I'll be on the lookout. More sailng? Sorry.

I heard once in college that Chekhov's story 'The Lady With the Dog' was about the leading of the double life, so go check that out (beware of cruddy ads).

No comments: