Thursday, October 15, 2009

Who do you trust?

I dropped all the Marvel comics titles (except Runaways, even though it probably deserved it for its own weaksauce-itude) from my pull list this year because of Secret Invasion--because it proved that MArvel was willing to sell me garbage in $4 monthly installments, wasting 8 months of my comics consumption. In one-issue-a-month chunks, sure, but still.

But this post isn't about that, other than to say that the basic emotional hook in Secret Invasion (Who do you trust? Is he a skrull? Am I?) was copied from Battlestar Galactica (Is she a cyclon? Am I?).

And to some extent the same thing is going on in Dollhouse, or was during the first season (Joss has said they'll back off that element, since it gets silly if it goes on too long*). Who is a Doll? Are you?

I'm not going to call this concept tired or accuse anyone of conceptual bankruptcy (except Secret Invasion)--I'd rather look at this a case of an idea with a great deal of emotional resonance that a lot of people want to write about and watch about. Watch about? Yeah, it's the dopest new extension of a prepositional semantic scope or whatevs. Get hip.

But I'm not going to do any of that looking today. Just making note of something I might someday do some thinking about.


*Man, I really should start book marking the web pages I know I'm going to make reference to. Sorry, I don't know where I read that.

2 comments:

T. Smitty said...

I dunno, maybe there's a Jungian archetype in there somewhere.

I'm intrigued. So why is Secret Invasion garbage? Writing? Art?

Aaron Nuttall said...

The art wasn't bad (though I only have my visceral reaction to go on, being ignorant of any theory of draftsmanship)--it was superb mainstream comics style art.

The story was notable for its absence--here's the whole thing: skrulls and superheroes fight in New York.

But what really made my head blow up was the ending: Norman Osborn is in control of the Marvel universe now, and no, that doesn't have the slightest connection to the Secret Invasion story. Sucka! Thanks for the 32 bucks (not to mention the other $64 you spent on spin-offs and tie-ins).