Monday, November 30, 2009

More things in heaven and earth

Than are dreamt of in my philosophy, anyhow.

How am I ever going to play all these games?

I'm studying up on Twilight Imperium. I hear you have to do your homework before you play that one. It has common DNA with the games I have hated most so there's a good chance I'll want to set it on fire, but I'm going to tough it out. It looks like a ripping good way to spend 10 or 12 hours in a stinky room with 7 other guys.

I want to play both the Serenity and BSG RPGS from Margaret Weis Productions. They run on the Cortex System, right?

And I have all these frakking HackMaster books. And now they're out-of-date.

I've never played a sci-fi RPG (I was a very fantasy-centric kid). What's best--Star Frontiers, Gamma World, classic Traveller, Mutant Future, Metamorphosis Alpha, Star Ace? I've got 'em all.

I ran Dangerous Journeys for a year or two in the 9-tays. I still have the tattered old books. Maybe I ought to give the rules-lite Mythus Prime version a shot. I thought it was an dumbed-down embarrassment back in the day, but now it's just the way I wanna play.

And GDW also made all these Space: 1889 books that I still think are about the coolest concept ever.

Gah, I've never even played GURPS.

I have print versions of Cartoon Action Hour and its supplements, but the Season Two version seems more up my rules-fearing alley.

Star Wars D6. Or BESM?

Swords & Wizardry or Labyrinth Lord. But I have books for all the versions of actual D&D!

And I'm pretty excited about Shadow, Sword, and Spell.

That's it. I'm going to have to give up sleeping and leaving the warm circle of honeyed light from my reading lamp. You can't make me!

Oh, I'm going to need some players. Drat!

1 comment:

Lord Gwydion said...

I kinda like Twilight Imperium, but it is a chore to play. And long. Not the sort of game you want to play every week, but it's fun every now and then. I could definitely see some people wanting to burn it, though!

As for the Sci Fi stuff, Star Frontiers is good, if you like to focus on the action more than the 'sci fi' and Gamma World is good for wild D&D type sci fi. Haven't played any of the others, sorry!