Friday, October 15, 2010

Here's a cool artist you should know

You probably already do, if you have ever browsed the stacks of your local library where the Burroughs Mars novels are shelved.

It's Mahlon Blaine (1894 1969). Here's the first illustration that appears in the 1974 Canaveral Press edition of A Fighting Man of Mars:




And here's where I found it (and you can find the rest of his illustrations for that book there as well).

The illustrations are dated '62, so I just imagine that it was creepy weirdness like this that inspired all the psychedelic heads to make all that acid rock music down in San Francisco and over in Canterbury.

5 comments:

cyclopeatron said...

WOW! Awesome find!

Aaron Nuttall said...

Why, thank you, Mr. C.

Jeff Rients said...

I like how they almost seem like crazy medieval woodcuts. Like the Knights of the Round Table set on Mars. Trippy!

Coopdevil said...

Thanks Aaron, without a word of lie I've been unsuccesfully trying to remember the name of this artist for over a decade! I saw a mention of him online and in the 1990s, and his was a name that slipped from my mind and I was never able to locate it until this morning when I saw this blog entry.

Very Beardsley, very Russ Nicholson/Fiend Folio!

Aaron Nuttall said...

Jeff, you once again strike on a great idea--The Martian Round Table. I want to use it, and I want to make them actual hippies.

And, Coopdevil, I'm glad I helped you out. I guess I'll have to asume the universe is looking out for us. . .