Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Why did we stop saying 'anon'?

And why do I not know how to punctuate a sentence like that? It's different in the UK (and in the Englishes of elsewhere) than the US, no? Bah.

But why don't we just start saying 'anon' again. Think of the children--they're going to have to read Shakespeare and his ilk eventutally, so can't we do them a solid and just make sure they know what 'anon' means BEFORE they encounter it, say in The Merry Wives of Windsor?

Whoa. I was looking for a Shakespeare quote and I found this thing on Random House.com that says 'anon' is still in use in British English. Good show, old chaps!

I'm fairly certain it's not in use in American English, at least not in the Far West, since I didn't really know what it meant and I think I'm reasonably knowledgeable about my native language.

Anyroad--I shall write again anon. (But not really very soon.)

3 comments:

Dot said...

Is it related to the Latin 'nunc' (now, already)?

Maybe there was some linguistic interference with the installment of our former Secretary-General of the UN? Okay, I know the proper pronunciation rhymes with 'cannon', but I can still ask the question, "Is it Kofi Annan?"

(I do hope you remember that 'Kofi' is the Akan day name for "Friday".)

Aaron Nuttall said...

That's like a five-language pun! I think you're dotty, Nikkou-chan.

It's from Old English 'on an(e)' (weird how the vowels metathesized) which meant 'into one' or 'in one'. I'm not sure how it was used, since it doesn't seem to mean anything useful. Anyway, the temporal sense is an extension of its meaning.

Trey said...

I dont know what you're talking about. I say it all the time. And I'll say it again, anon.